I have been on a kick of cooking all our dinners on the grill. It's the end of summer, and it's hot. The thought of turning on the oven or stove and adding more heat to my house seems like a bad idea. My solution; move the cooking outside.
I have this great little grill pan that I use for veggies on the grill quite a bit. You could also use a cast iron skillet, or other grill safe pan. I like this one because it has holes in it that let the juiced run out, leaving a bit more crisp on the edges of my veggies.
Brussels sprouts are in season here in Colorado. They are at their peak of nutrient, and taste perfection...(HINT: and on sale). They are also another one of those veggies that my kiddos can't seem to get enough of.
If you haven't tried Brussel Sprouts, my 5 and 8 year old highly recommend them!
To balance the bitter flavor of the brussels, I mixed them into a salad with cranberries, slivered almonds, feta, and a homemade honey balsamic vinaigrette. You could also add some crumbled bacon.
I served this with cast iron skillet cooked rosemary pork chops, and simple polenta with butter and salt. Not a complaint in the house, and no leftovers!!!
Grilled Brussels Sprout Salad
1. Heat grill and grill pan over medium heat
2. Slice Brussels lengthways
3. Coat brussels with 2 TBSP olive oil and minced garlic. Season with Salt and Pepper
4. When grill pan is hot, toss in Brussels. Cook over medium heat stirring occasionally until all brussels slices are soft and cooked through
5. Remove from grill and cool 10 minutes
6. In a bowl, mix together Brussels, Cranberries, Almonds
7. In a mason jar, add dressing ingredients and shake vigorously, until incorporated.
8. Drizzle dressing over salad, and top with Feta.