Quinoa is not a grain, but a seed. Because of this little fact, it is higher in fat and protein, and does not need to be soaked (like most grains) before cooking. This makes it a healthy and quick breakfast foundation.
Quinoa flakes are similar to rolled oats, and take very little time to cook. We use these quite a bit for quick and healthy breakfast porridges.
Ingredient quality is always important. Choose the best you can and you will see a difference not only in nutritional quality, but flavor.
ApPle Cinnamon Quinoa Porridge
1 Apple, Cored and Chopped
2 Tbsp. Grass-Fed Butter
1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Salt
1-2 tsp Raw, Unfiltered Honey
1/2 Cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
1 1/2 Cups Water
1/2 Cup Whole Milk
1 Cup Quinoa Flakes
2 Tbsp Walnuts
1. Over low heat melt butter; Add apples, cover and simmer until apples begin to soften. Stir occasionally.
2. Add Vanilla, and Cinnamon. Cook until apples are desired softness. (NOTE: The softer they get, the more juice they release, and the sweeter the Porridge will become)
3. Add Applesauce, Honey, Salt, Water, and Milk. Increase heat to medium and bring to a simmer.
4. Turn off heat and add flakes. Let sit for 5 minutes. Stir and serve.
5. Top with Walnuts, and extra Whole Milk if desired.
Makes 3-4 Servings